Monday, February 13, 2012

Happy Valentine's Eve!

Welcome to another beautiful Monday!  The sun is shining.  The snow is glistening.  It's a great morning!  Mike left for Ohio very early this morning and I hate when he's gone.  I had to force myself out of bed for the first time in 2 weeks.  I'm glad I did though. 

Since Mike is going to be gone for Valentine's day we celebrated yesterday.  We ran our race and then just kind of relaxed the rest of the day.  I made a special Surf and Turf dinner.  We had marinated steak and cilantro chili lime shrimp with fried mushrooms and roasted asparagus.  It was so good!  In fact we took a picture before eating every last bite.



After dinner we watched some TV and then went to bed.  I know, not super exciting, but we got to spend the whold day together and that was awesome!

Like I said, I didn't want to get up this morning.  The dogs were curled up with me and Mike had left around 4am so it was just me.  I did get up to my alarm though.  I was glad I did.  I went to the gym and worked out.  Today was my cross training day.  I did 10.42 miles on the recumbent bike.  While peddaling away I read some more of the Michael Phelps biography.  I found that when he was describing his world record 400 IM swim, I started to go faster.  This should be awesome since I have 7 more races to read about.  Hopefully I can get some more milage out of his swims.

After riding the bike I did legs and core work for weights.  I'm feeling pretty good and I feel like I'm getting stronger.  I am really trying to focus on my core and have been adding a few more exercises to help with that.  I love how I feel while working hard and then how I feel afterwards.  I feel like I've really got something done.  I think I'm just about ready to increase the weight on some of the exercises.  I'll do that next Monday when I do legs again.

Right now I'm enjoying a wonderful smoothie.  I made a peach, mango,strawberry, banana smoothie with protein powder, vanilla Greek yogurt and almond milk.  Yummy!  I also figured out a way to use the last little bit left in the blender after I fill up my bottle.  I was feeling guilty about just throwing that bit away.  It was still enough for a small glass, but I'm the only one that drinks the smoothies.  We have popcicle containers to make homemade popcicles.  I am not pouring it in there and making smoothie popcicles.  James will eat those and I am not wasting the little bit left in the blender.  I think I will be making about one popcicle a day.  The first one is in the freezer right now.

I'm hoping this week goes by quickly.  I want Mike home.  We get to have another weekend where I'm not at a meet and I want to enjoy it.  Until then, I will just have to keep myself busy so the time goes quickly!

Have a great Monday!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Please stop using protein powder. Matt's colleague was really into working out and stuff too and used protein powder, and he lost his pancreas. He has to have a crazy restricted and regimented diet now, not to mention all the meds he has to take, and even being careful usually lands back in the hospital every few months. It's really awful. Apparently, it's a relatively common thing to happen to those who use protein powder and if not that extreme, there are a tremendous amount of life-inhibiting digestive problems that occur because the body does not properly break down whey powder. Basically, according to Ben's doctor, you aren't getting the benefits you think you are getting and you are playing with fire.

    Protein needs fiber to properly digest with no complications, so at least you are adding almond milk, but really with the greek yogurt and the almond milk (or you could ground almonds), there is no need for the powder.

    I know you are careful and read up on this stuff, but doctors are highly opposed to protein powder, so I think the fitness gurus are not trustworthy in this matter. Witnessing what happened to Ben has just made me feel like I need to speak up. Just know I wouldn't if I didn't care about you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Before I add any supplement I research and talk to the doctor. At my appointment I discussed this with her. I only use half the amount and only once a day and it's not every day. She said that that was fine.

      Where you get into trouble is when you over do it. Yes, body builders tend to have problems and big side effects because they over use it and rely to much on the protein powder. Some people simply cannot break it down either. I monitor my body and listen to what it tells me. The almond milk and the greek yogurt is for the calcium. I don't like tradional dairy products because of the texture. I am very mucha texture eater, so I have to find other ways to get my calcium.

      I know you are just letting me know out of concern. I really appreciate it. I have blood work coming up in March and when I talk to the doctor again I will follow up with what is going on. But I do trust her when she says that I'm fine with what I'm doing right now.

      Delete