Monday, July 1, 2013

Happy Canada Day! AKA...The Start of My Half-Marathon Journey

I have been very lax in writing in this blog and I apologize.  Everything got crazy and I just let it slide.  I'm back now and I'm going to be sharing my journey to my first half marathon.  I'll be running the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Half Marathon.  Today was my first official training day.  Race day is October 20th.

Being Canada Day, I kicked off my training with the Green Germann Sakaran Canada Day 5K in Burlington.  The past 2 weeks I've been taking it easy to make sure all nagging injuries and soreness was healed up and ready to hit the training this week.  I was expecting anything great, so I was surprised with my time.  I guess all the miles I've been putting in walking the dogs helped me maintain some level of fitness.  The course was flat and along the lake.  It was a cool day and I had a good run.

Here are a few pictures from the race.







After the race, Mike and I came home and took River to the dog park.  She loves going and running around and barking.  It wore her out for the rest of the afternoon.

We went to the University of Waterloo for their Canada Day activities.  It wasn't what I was expecting, but we had a great time and there were some cool kites.







Then we went for a walk in Waterloo Park. We hadn't been there in quite awhile.  It was fun to see the animals and walk along the water.







When we got home, I took River out for a long walk so she could sleep through the fireworks.  It's been a great day and I'm gearing up for tomorrow.  I have a 4 mile run in the morning and since it's been cool, I can take River with me. 

I'm nervous about running my first half-marathon, but I'm also excited.  One of the reasons I'm doing this is to show James that even when things scare you, you can still get out there and try them.  He's been shying away from things that scare him or things he's afraid he won't be good at right away.  I keep telling him that this half scares me and my time won't be super fast, but I'm still going to train and put the work in to do my best and be proud of what I accomplished.  Plus all these training miles will add money to the Disney jar. 

James wants to train with me so we will be doing some running and speed work.  I'm also adding weights and a couple of core classes to my workout.  Wednesdays we will go to the big field by our house and do some speed work and core work.  We'll take River so that will make her tired as well.  Two other days I'll be doing some interval distance running with him after my training run.  He wants to do well in our 5k in August.  I told him he has to train to do that.  I think if he sees me working hard, he will as well.

So I'm off to bed so I can get up early for a run.  Tomorrow will be Day 2 of my journey.  I'm excited, nervous, scared, and ready for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment