Sunday, July 28, 2013

Days 26-28: Track Meets, Cross Training and Long Run

Wow it's been a busy 3 days!  I moved my rest day from Saturday to Friday as James had a mini meet to end his week at track and field camp.  I went to watch him compete.  He chose to do the long jump, high jump, 100 meter dash and he was on a relay.  He did well in all those events for doing them for the first time.

Here he is long jumping.



His 100 meter dash was next.  He came in 4th.  Here he is crossing the finish  line.


He did high jump, but his form still isn't quite there.  They did teach them the flop, but most of the younger kids just ran at the bar and jumped.  He was taking off of one foot though.  He said he really likes high jump.




The relay was at the end and everyone ran it.  They had divided the kids up into 4 countries and they were competing for their assigned countries all meet.  James was on the Russian team.  They ended up coming in 2nd in the relay.  Here he is passing the baton to the next runner.



He had a great time and says he wants to go back again next year.  The camp staff did a wonderful job teaching them about track and field.  We'll be signing him up for a week next summer!

Yesterday was my cross training day.  I got up early and took River for a 3.5 mile walk before I went to the gym.  It was a gorgeous morning and we really enjoyed our walk. 

Once I got to the gym, I got on the recumbent bike and did that for 35 minutes.  It didn't feel super good and it was a "just get through it" workout.  I didn't feel horrible, but I just wasn't that into it yesterday.  Then I did upper body weights.  Next week I'll be increasing the weight on a few exercises and I'm very close to increasing on a few more.  The weights felt good.

Today was my long run.  When the dogs got me up to feed them, I got ready to head out for an 8 mile run.  8 miles is the longest I've run ever.  When I was doing some training last spring, I went for an 8 mile run and twisted my knee.  That was on trails and I don't know how I did it.  So it's been awhile since I've run this far.

The route I take is very hilly which I need to do.  It's a beautiful route through the country.  There is no one out on the roads yet.  It is always peaceful.  I love running by farmer's fields and watching the cows as I run by.  I also run by River's daycare and I can hear all the dogs barking at me as I go by as the doors to the runs were open.

Today was the day I tried the Honey Stingers as I ran.  I know I have to keep my energy up and I have to have fuel for my body to draw on when I run these longer runs.  I can't do the gels because the texture makes me gag.  Someone told me to try these.  They are like fruit snacks so I can chew them.  I ate 6 of them every 40 minutes on the run.  I really liked them and I did notice a difference after eating them.  I just need to keep using them to find what will work for my on race day and what flavors I like. 

So today, I ran for 40 minutes then walked a few minutes to get the stingers and some Gatorade in me.  Then I ran for another 40 minutes and did the same thing.  I felt really good on my run and only had to walk the 2 times so eat and drink.  I just can't do that while running.  I've tried and it is never successful.  I'll keep trying though.

Like I said before this route is really hilly.  There are low rolling his and long steep ones.  I ran up every one of them!  There is even an intersection that no matter what direction you are going, you will be going up hill both ways.  That was towards the end of my run and it was not fun.  I was cursing it in my head as I was running.  But once I got up both of those hills, it was downhill and flat the rest of the way home.

I love running in the early mornings and in this cooler weather.  I just wish I could have taken River with me.  She's a great running partner and she just loves to run.  8 miles is just too long for her.  The most I'll let her run with me is a 10k.  That's pretty much her limit.

Tomorrow I'm switching things around.  I'm doing speed work and weights and Wednesday, James and I are running a virtual 5k race.  He's excited to see how his running has improved and the fact that the race is Harry Potter themed.  Our race bibs were emailed to us last week and they look cool.  It will be a good time.

Now I'm off to cross stitch the rest of the day.  Enjoy your Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment