Monday, March 28, 2011

Planning Meals

So I'm the type that I plan the meals for the month.  I put together weekly shopping lists and do my grocery shopping every Monday morning.  The weeks we have James I usually plan for casseroles and crock pot meals.  That way when Mike and James get home they can pop it in the oven or serve it up when they are ready to eat.  The other weeks I plan meals that I cook when I get home from practice and that Mike and I will like, but James probably wouldn't.  I also make a dessert every Monday to last throughout the week.

I'm finding that in planning these meals I am using a lot more fresh fruits and veggies and a lot less processed foods.  I have been feeling better about our eating and I get to enjoy the leftovers for lunch the next day.  That's always a good thing.

This week the menu is as follows:
Monday-Pork Chop Parm w/ bococcini salad and Angel Lush w/pineapple for dessert
Tuesday-Italian Style Chicken Combo w/leftover salad
Wednesday-Mike and James go to his parent's house
Thursday-Beef Provicial Stew
Friday-Homemade pizzas

We also started having James plan and cook a meal once a week when he's with us.  This Saturday will be his day to plan and cook.  He loves doing this and it has gotten him to try new things and eat more vegetables.  He's made chicken fingers, peanut soup, 15 bean soup, pasta and sauce, and Indian food.  I never know what he's going to make until Saturday afternoon.  He helps with the shopping and the cooking.  He is always really proud of his dinners.

Sundays we go to Mike's parents' house for dinner.  It's nice to have a meal with his parents and James gets to see his grandparents when he's with us.  He likes going there and it's nice to have a day off from cooking.

I love to cook and try new things.  Mike is also a wonderful cook so he gets the Saturdays that James isn't cooking.  I love it when Mike cooks because he likes to try new things and they always turn out great!

Now I'm off to have some leftover chili for lunch.  I love the leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment