Thursday, August 29, 2013

Day 60: Long Run

This morning I got up and got ready for my long run.  10 miles was on the schedule.  This was run was taking place after over a week of not really running for various reasons.  I was nervous about this run.  I wasn't sure how it was going to go.

The first 2 miles were just getting into a rhythm.  It didn't hurt, but it was just getting my muscles relaxed and into the running groove.  There are some pretty big hills at the start of this route so that didn't help.  But to be honest, the only hill that really hurt was the second one on the route.  It was the biggest and just seemed to go on forever.  I got up it and then the run started to feel really good.

This route is through the city and into Waterloo so there are a lot of stop lights along the way.  I hit about 50% of them red and had to wait.  Towards the end of the run it hurt to get started again.  At the hour mark, which was about 5 miles in, I had to walk to eat some Honey Stingers and drink some Gatorade.  I only walked for 3 minutes though. 

The run had it moments.  There are some nice residential areas and some built up city areas.  I had to run through construction and almost got run over by someone on a bike.  They were riding on the sidewalk not paying attention. 

At the 2 hour mark, I had to walk again.  I had eaten the rest of my Honey Stingers at a stop light so I just needed to get some Gatorade in me.  It was only about a 2 minute walk.  Then I ran the last mile and half home.

When I got home and mapped out my route, it was actually 10.75 miles.  It really wasn't a bad run.  I kind of enjoy these long runs.

After the run I had to walk River.  She seemed to know that I was tired and didn't try to chase things like she normally does.  I really appreciated that.

Tomorrow I'll do a recovery run to shake out all the stiffness.  Only 52 more days until the race.  I'm starting feel like I can do this.  I hope that feeling lasts!

No comments:

Post a Comment