Monday, August 5, 2013

Day 36: Long Slow Distance

Yesterday I was supposed to do this run, but I slept wrong and couldn't get my hip stretched out so I postponed it until today.

I wanted to be out by 6:30, but my 4-legged alarm didn't go off.  River is on a schedule; up at 5:30 for breakfast, back to be for 45 minutes and then up and ready for her run or walk.  She didn't get up at 5:30 or 6:30 or even 7:00.  She was still in bed when I woke up and started getting ready for my run.  At 7:15 she half-heartedly at her breakfast because she thought she was going with me on my run.  Unfortunately 8 miles is too long for her to run with me.

I really had to talk myself out the door for this run.  I just wasn't feeling it, but I knew I had to do it and once I got going it wouldn't be that bad.  Off I went.  It took 3 miles to really get a good feel for this run.  It didn't hurt, it just didn't feel  that good.  It was like I was going through the motions.  I think part of the problem is I didn't have my normal cranberry orange breakfast pita before running.  I had a quarter of a protein bar instead.  The store has been out of my pitas so I had to eat something else.  I'm stocking up next time I see them.

At 43 minutes, I did a bit of walking to drink and eat 5 of my Honey Stingers.  This took me to the start of the really hilly part of the run.  Honestly, the hills today didn't bother me.  In fact, the last steep hill I was halfway up it before it registered that I was running up the hill and feeling really good.  The worst hill was the last one.  It is a longer very low grade hill, but it just seemed to never end and I thought I my legs were just going to quit on me.  It's funny how that works.  The steep ones I had no problem with, but this very low grade one nearly killed my legs.  I got up it though and then is was downhill and flat the last mile and a half.

At the 1:20 I walked a few more minutes to drink and eat the rest of  my Honey Stingers.  That gave me the fuel I needed to get through the rest of the run.

After I got home, my legs didn't hurt near as bad as they did last week.  I thought that was a good sign.  I have a love/hate relationship with this route so if my legs are feeling stronger that's what I want.  I don't want to switch up my long route too much because I need to train the hills, but I HATE hills and would love a nice flat route.  I'll stick to this route and just keep adding on to the back end as increase my mileage.  I just keep reminding myself that I need the hill work.

I feel pretty good about this run.  My schedule is a bit off for this week, but that's okay.  Tomorrow I'm out for a 5 mile run with River.  We'll see how my legs feel after that run.  Wednesday is speed work.  Thursday is cross training.  Friday I'm up to a 6 mile run.  Sunday I increase my long run to 9 miles.  I'm usually feeling pretty good at the back half of my runs so hopefully 9 miles will feel okay.  That will be the furthest I've ever run in one stretch. 

Off to take a relaxing bath and to read for a bit.  Then I have to tackle a Cyberman costume.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment