Saturday, March 10, 2012

Slainte St. Patrick's Day 5k

Today was a nice day to run a race, especially one that ended with a free beer.  I ran this race last year and really enjoyed it so I signed up again this year.  The course is downhill for about the last 2k.  It was a beautiful day.  Clear, but cold.  There was some wind at points in the race.  I felt really good the entire time.

I chatted with another lady before the race which made the hour and a half wait at the start line go by faster.  They bus us up to the top of the hill and we run down from there.  Once I got started I did regret that I decided to not bring my gloves with me.  It was cold for the first 1.5K.  My fingers were numb and since I wore my running shirt and not my jacket, I couldn't even pull the sleeves down over my hands.  Not so bright on my part, but that's okay.

Once I started down the hill I felt better.  I was moving pretty good and felt really good.  About halfway down it felt like my shoe was loose. I looked at it and it was fine so figured I just didn't tie it tight enough.  Pretty soon it felt really loose.  I looked down again and saw that my shoe had come untied.  I was NOT going to stop while running downhill to tie it so I just kept on going.  Once I got to the bottom there was only about 3 or 4 blocks left so I was not going stop then either.  I just kept on going.

The finish line was at the pub so we went in for beer and chili.  I was pretty happy with my time as well.  It was 34:20 on my watch.  Once we got in the car Mike told me that the race people were saying that the course was longer than 5k.  It was actually 5.53k.  So my time was even faster.  We got the results emailed to us and had a link to converted times and my 5k time would have been 31:15.  I was super excited about that!  I'm that much closer to my 30 minute goal.  I figure on a flat course that will be about a 32:30.  I have a month until my next 5k so I'll find out then.

Here are a few pictures from the race.



Tomorrow I'm hitting the gym for a recovery ride on the recumbent bike.  Then I head to my parents house for a few days.  I'm really excited about that.  The dogs are going with me so I'll have company.

I'm happy with my race and excited for tomorrow.  Off I go to finish packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment