Saturday, July 16, 2011

Rattelsnake Point Trail Run: My Very First Trail Race

I'm not gonna lie, it was a tough race for me.  I was fine the first 3K, but when I hit the last hill that went straight up...It was a killer.  I really did enjoy it though.  I love the challenge that it presented me.  I love running on trails.  They are so much easier on my knees then the street.  It's so quiet and so peaceful.  The scenery is beautiful.  Of course I didn't get to see much of it because I was watching the trail, but it was pretty.

I started out okay.  I felt good and my pace was nice and easy.  There were a lot of roots and rocks that I had to watch out for.  I hit the 2k mark and felt good.  I was hot, but still moving.  At 3k I was still doing okay.  A bit slower, but moving.  Then the hill hit.  It was straight up with huge rocks and roots.  I knew it was going to be a challenge, but I wanted to do this.  I ran a few steps and decided that for my safety I had better speed walk up it.  A few times I had to stop and move to the very edge of the trail so the first of the 12k runners could pass me.  That was what killed me.  As long as I was moving I felt good.

I got to the top and had nothing left the last 500 meters.  It was out in the open and it was hot and I just could not get my feet to move any faster.  I was trying though.  I really was trying. 

I was happy with my finish and with my time (39:07).  I didn't think it was too bad for my first trail run.  I would love to do another one.  I did enjoy it.

Here is me at the start.

And as I'm coming into the finish.



No comments:

Post a Comment