Monday, July 28, 2014

Rainy Days and Mondays

Today it's both, but they are  NOT getting me down!  Last night we had a lot of rain.  I knew it would be a wet morning.  When I got up around 6:30, it was pouring rain.  I thought there was no way I was running in that mess.  I figured I would just go to the gym. I got up and started getting ready, but remembered that Mike had to take my car today since his truck is in the shop.  No gym for me.  Then I realized that I had to take River for a walk rain or no rain.  After much back and forth in my head, I put my running clothes on and headed out the door with River. 

I love running in the rain.  I really do.  I don't know why I had to talk myself into this.  I like running in the rain for many reasons.  One, it's quiet and the air is fresh.  You aren't going to run into many people.  I love the smell of the air during a rain storm.  Two, I love running though the puddles.  When you're little you are always told not to splash, but I get to splash all I want on my runs with River.  We got out of our way to run though puddles.  Finally, the rain keeps you cool.  It's nice to feel the splash of cool water on your hot face.

River was all smiles too.  She's not one that likes the rain and will usually pout, but today she was game and happy to be running.  I am glad I got out the door this morning for run rather than a walk.

For the workout today, I did do a run walk simply because I took a hilly route and knew my legs just weren't quite ready for a straight run.  I did the following intervals:

10 minute run/2 minute walk
10 minute run/1 minute walk
10 minute run/2 minute walk
3 minute run to finish

I did the 1 minute walk in the middle because the walk interval came up halfway up a hill.  At the 1 minute mark I was at the top and wasn't going to walk down a hill.  My legs were sore at the bottom because it's a steeper hill.

I did take this weekend off.   I just couldn't get going.  I don't know what the deal was.  I have to make sure this coming weekend I'm up and out the door.  James will be here so that will help.

Tomorrow will be a gym day.  I'm doing speed intervals and weights.  Wednesday I have James with me so it will be shorter run with intervals.  I may make Wednesday a double and do a longer run in the evening.  Thursday will be run as I have to switch my 2nd gym day to Friday since I have a meeting that day.  Saturday will be a mid-distance run and Sunday my long run.  

It's been a slow start to the this half marathon training, but I'm getting there.  I will be ready by October!

No comments:

Post a Comment