Monday, July 14, 2014

Back to Basics

I'm finding that I'm getting frustrated with my running.  I'm not where I want to be due to being hit and miss with my training.  Because I'm not where I want to be, I get frustrated and talk myself out of my runs.  I had to take the weekend and reset my thinking.  I have to go back to the basics and just enjoy the run.

I think I'm setting myself up for failure.  I put to much pressure on myself to get faster, better, stronger and forget why I'm running.  I'm running because I enjoy being outside.  I enjoy the feeling of going far and knowing that I can have my body do that.  I enjoy clearing my mind.  I enjoy the way I feel afterwards.  It's not about times and pace and winning.  It's for me.

Today I went back to the beginning.  I ran for 20 minutes.  I did a run/walk interval.  The first 10 minutes it was a 1:1 and the last 10 minutes it was a 2:1.  It felt good.  River was with me and there was no pressure on myself.  I just enjoyed going fast for the run and recovering on the walk.  I enjoyed the morning.  It was cool and peaceful.  River was excited to be out and running.  She smiled the whole time.  I smiled the whole time.  I felt relaxed and I wasn't putting pressure on myself.  It was fun.

Tomorrow I'm in the gym.  I will do 20 minutes on the treadmill or something else and start back to lifting weights.  Once again, it will be back to basics.  Slow and steady.  I am still going to run the half marathon in October because I enjoy it.  I'm going to do it because I enjoy it.  I'm not going to worry about times or paces or anything like that.  I'm doing it for the pure joy of running.

On a another note, last week I got my new tattoo.  It is really awesome!  Here it is.





It's the TARDIS from Doctor Who.  I love it!  My leg is still sore because I just got in on Thursday, but the run didn't hurt.  I love how detailed it is.  Ben outdid himself once again.  He's an amazing artist!  If you are in the area check him out at Motor City Tattoo in Oshawa.  He does amazing work!

Tomorrow I'm in the gym, Wednesday I will do a 20 minute run again with James, Thursday is another gym day, and Friday I will do do a 25 minute run.  Saturday I'm doing the Warrior Dash.  It's a fun race and I know I'm not going to be first, but I enjoy running it and challenging myself.  It should be a good time.

Sunday James has his piano contest so it's a rest day for me.  Then Monday it's back to easy running.

I think by taking a step back I will be back to where I want to be in a few weeks.  Just have to get back to basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment