Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Finally got out and ran

After battling a cold and then rain, I finally got out for a run today.  It felt so good!  I ran just over 2 miles through the arboretum.  It was a bit cool, but perfect for running and I got my run in between rain storms.

I love running through the arboretum.  It's so quiet and there is no one there.  When it is drier, I run on the trails and off the gravel/paved areas.  That is nice to run through all the wooded areas.

As I was running I kept thinking how good it felt to be out there.  I am alone with my thoughts.  I have music on to keep me going.  It's great.  Then my mental block song came on.  My mental block song is one that for some reason makes me think that I can walk.  My last race I pushed through it, but today it came on and my body wanted to walk again.

 Now you're probably saying, "Why don't you just take it off your playlist?"  Well, I will as soon as I move my iTunes from my old computer to my new one.  That involves taking it to the Age of the Geek store near us to do.  My old laptop takes about an hour to start up, then it's super slow.  I'm afraid that I will lose data so I'm letting someone else do that for me.  Until then I have that song on my playlist. 

Anyway, that song came on and my body wanted to walk.  It started to hurt and ache.  I wouldn't stop.  As soon as the next song came on, I was fine and able to pick up my pace a bit.  That got me thinking even more.  (I know, my runs are dangerous thinking times.)

If this song can trigger that response, it really shows how powerful our brains really are.  Yes, I knew this before, but it's like seeing Pavlov's theory in action.  I never get tired of seeing it proved right.

Tomorrow when I run I will probably have the same thing happen, but I'm really hoping that it will get less and less each time I push through that song.  Now it's almost a challenge to see how long it takes before I can run without even noticing that the song is on.  That's the way it is with all the other songs.  They are just white noise.  That song is the only one I really tune into too.  I'm going to start keeping track and see just how long this effect lasts.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...James and I are really hitting the crafts hard.  Last night we did little stain glass flowers and butterflies.  They are leftover from Mother's Day last year.  I had bought a box of these plastic ornaments that came with the paint.  He made a few then got bored with them.  So last night we painted them and they are going in the craft sale for breast cancer.  As it stands we have about 20 notepads of scrap scrapbook paper that we made, 20 wooven pot holders, 75 bars of soap, 15 cards, and these ornaments.  I have about 8 Christmas ornaments that we are going to paint yet, some more cards that I will make, 8 wooden model cars he wants to put together and some pom pom animals he wants to make.  We are planning what dog cookies to make and I bought pink cupcake liners for cupcakes and some small candy molds to make pink candies.

I'm really hoping to make at least $50 from all this.  Its been fun doing these things with James.  He loves doing it and I love doing it with him.

Well, now I'm back to work.  Swim workouts to write and test set data to finish entering.  Tomorrow is Thursday and we have a long weekend coming up.  I can't believe we are halfway through May.  The time is just flying by.

No comments:

Post a Comment