Monday, October 8, 2012

Oktoberfest Thanksgiving 5k

I just ran a new personal best by over a mintue!  I'm so excited about that too!!!!!

For two weeks I've been trying to get my bruised ankle to feel good running.  Monday I had the worst run ever.  Wednesday wasn't much better.  I took the rest of the week off and rested it so it could heal up a bit.  I guess it paid off.  I ran a 31:25 today on a route that is hilly.

Mike is in Ohio so I had to run without a cheering section.  His brother did get up and meet me at the finish line and drive me to the starting line so my car would be at the finish.  I didn't want to have to wait for the parade to finish before I could come home.  I really appreciate that he did that.  I made him a pecan pie for Thanksgiving so it evened out.

I decided that I was going to dress up for this race.  It's a fun race and since we run the parade route there are a ton of people.  I decided to be Wonder Woman.  So yesterday I hit the Halloween store and put together my costume.


It was cold this morning so I had to dig out my winter running clothes.  Luckily I had just bought a few long sleeve running shirts for the winter and one of them was red.  It workout out well.

I felt pretty good the whole race.  The route was hilly, but I knew that going in as it was my 3rd year running this race.  I like running this race because the people there for the parade make a great cheer squad.  I did see James along the route.  He was excited to see me. He said he really wants to run it next year.  We'll have to see though.

When I crossed the finish line I had to keep checking my watch to make sure the time was right.  I looked at the clock to make sure as well.  I still can't believe I ran a personal best.  I'm closing in on that 30 minute goal. 

Saturday I sat down and mapped out my training schedule for the next year.  I have 3 goal races I'm looking at so I wanted to see how I was going to train.  My first goal race is the Robbie Burns 8k in January.  The next one is the Chocolate Race 10k in May and the last one is the Zoo Run 10k in September.  I have a lot of other 5k and 10k races sprinkled in there to keep me focused, but these are my goal races. 

Next week I'm giving my ankle one more week off and just hitting the bike in the gym.  The following week I'm back to running and weights.  My next race is the Zombie Race on the 27th.  That's just a fun race though.

I'm gearing up for another great running season!

Today though, I'm going to enjoy my Thanksgiving and relax.

Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments:

Post a Comment