Sunday, June 17, 2012

Waterloo Classic

Today we all ran a race for Father's Day.  Mike and James ran the 3k and I ran the 10k.  After almost 3 weeks off, I was certain this was going to be a disaster, but it wasn't that bad.  It was a great way to spend the day together and have a lot of fun.  I asked Mike if this was a good Father's Day and he said that it was.

We got up and took our traditional family picture in our race shirts.



We got the starting line and James did some warm-ups.





We took a few pre-race pictures together per James' request.





All the races started at the same time.  James took off like a shot and Mike had to try to catch up to him.  I stayed with my pace.  I had my knee brace on with a cloth under it so I don't break out.  I felt pretty good after about 2k.  That's a bit longer than normal, but it was to be expected. 

My knee did pretty good, but there were tears at the 5k when I was afraid that it would not make it and I would have to quit or be the very last one across the finish line.  I did NOT want either of those to happen.  I had to walk up the hills as my knee would pull a bit.  I walked a lot more than I thought I would and that was upsetting me as well. 

I did finish and I wasn't dead last.  Mike had ice for me at the finish line so I iced it right away.  I only added 5 minutes to my time from April.  I'm not super happy about that, but it's okay.  I know I will do much better at my next 10k in September.  In between I have several 5k races to fine tune.

Here are a few pictures from after the race.







Tomorrow I'm starting my half marathon training program over from the start since I've been out for so long.  I want to slowly build my mileage back up and work the weights back into my routine.  I really want to get back to feeling like I was before I hurt my knee.  I was feeling really good and running well.  I just have to wear my brace and be cautious.  I will be okay.

My next race is a 4k mud run.  I ran it last year and had such a good time.  I can't wait to do it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment