Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Holiday Weekend Fun: Oktoberfest, Thanksgiving, Onkel Hans Fun Run and New Training Program

Wow...such a long title today.  It was a busy weekend though.

I still can't get used to Thanksgiving being in October.  Especially this Thanksgiving.  It hit 80 degrees and we were wearing shorts.  Just not used to that, but I'm not complaining.  Plus living up here gets me two Thanksgivings.  Yummy!!!!!

Saturday, Mike and I went uptown to check out everything going on at Oktoberfest.  We wandered up and down King Street checking everything out.  I had some chicken schnitzel that was pretty good.  We watched a bit of the Strongman Competition.  Man, are those guys ever big!!!!!!  It's crazy!

Afterwards we went to Victoria Park.  It was such a nice day that we didn't want to waste it.  We walked along the lake and watched the swans and the ducks.  We sat on a bench and just enjoyed the quiet and the beautiful day.  Here are a few pictures from our day.

Watching everything downtown.




Victora Park




Yesterday I ran the Onkel Hans Fun Run.  It wasn't my best run and it wasn't my worst run.  The route is pretty hilly, but I ran all of the hills without to much trouble.  I was about 3k into the run when I felt something pop and had some pain.  I had to walk about 3/4 of the next kilometer, but I did finish running the last one.  I was just off my best time.  I guess that's what makes me upset. I was on pace to run a best time, but I didn't want to risk hurting myself even more.  I don't know what caused it, but it hurt a bit.

Here I am crossing the finish line.

Yesterday afternoon we decided to take the dogs to Huron Park near us.  It's a great natural area with lots of trails.  We love this park.  It was so pretty out!  There were a lot of people out enjoying the day.  Anya and Mulder had so much fun.  We stopped at the pond to see if the beavers were out and Anya tried to jump in.


We enjoyed all the fall colors and the wonderful air.  We ended up hiking about 4k with the dogs.






This morning I started a new training program.  I really want to get my 5k down to sub-30.  I'm kind of stuck in a rut.  I am starting a new training program to help that.  Today I went for a 4 mile run.  The longest run I've done in ages.  It felt pretty good.  I got out nice and early.  It was dark, but I have my bright running clothes and a light that I wear.  I'm on the sidewalk for most of it too.  Although I have to run by a Tim Horton's and people trying to get their coffee are pretty dangerous drivers.

Tomorrow is a rest day and that's good since I'm at the University all day long.  Thursday it's a shorter run, 3 miles, but its interval training.  Friday I do another 2-4 mile run.  Saturday I'm off on a 3 mile run.  What's nice is there are varying intervals and speeds that you do on each of these runs.  Saturday will be kind of tricky since I'm at Buffalo for a meet.  I should be able to sneak an early morning run in though.  I have to check the address on the hotel to see if I can get out and run or if I have to use the horrible treadmill.

I am going to run my first 10k in April so this is a good start.  I'm thinking of doing an 8k in January to see where I'm at with my training.  I haven't decided yet though.

The week is off and running and it feels good to have nice fall days.  I hope they stick around for awhile before the first snow.


No comments:

Post a Comment