Friday, June 27, 2014

Let the Half Marathon Training Begin!

Today was my kickoff to half marathon training.  I won't really start a structured program until next week, but James was here and we went for a run.


He was up before me this morning.  I was in the process of trying to drag myself out of bed when I heard him rustling around.  I got up and checked my email while he spent a half hour doing his "paperwork" in his "office."  I thought I would have to pry him out of bed and hook him up to River's leash to get him started, but nope, he was ready to go.


Today we took a route that went by his old school.  I think that was some of his motivation.  His mother moved so he switched schools this year.  He loves his new school, but misses his old one.  Plus the route is fairly flat for my benefit.


River was ready to go as well.  She did he getting into the leash dance and the hurry up and put on your shoes song.  It was a nice morning for a run and River took off with me in tow.  I got her settled into a pace just in time for a bus to come along.  River views buses as the enemy and it's her job to protect the city from these vicious beasts.  It's a job she take very seriously.  After she yelled and chased the bus away, we had to wait for James to catch up.


We didn't get very far from the bus stop when I pug decided to join us on our run.  Pugs are not good at looking both ways before they cross the street, so I'm waving a van off while this pug is moving it's little pug legs to catch up to River.  Once he got to us, he decided that running isn't a pug thing, but cuddles was.  The owner came and got him and we were off once more.


I think back to when I first started back with running and how I wouldn't go on main roads because I didn't view myself as a "real runner."  Man was I missing out. I love to see the looks on peoples faces as I'm running.  Now keep in mind I have a crazy eyed coon hound around my waist, a 9 year old boy doing his best impression of the Phoebe run from Friends, and my Training For the Zombie Apocalypse Bondi Band on.  I can only imagine what we all looked like.


Today we ran a half mile further than we ran on Sunday and only a minute and a half longer.  I'm very proud of my running partners.  James a very clear goal of running the 10K Lord of the Bling virtual run.  He really wants to do that so he's training for it now. 


We're home now and getting ready to shower and run errands.  I'm off to Nepean for a swim meet so probably won't get my runs in this weekend.  I'll take my running stuff just in case, but I don't see it happening.  If I don't get to run, my next run with be the Canada Day 5k on Tuesday.


Canada Day is when my training officially kicks off.  James and River will be my training partners for the shorter runs, sprint days and hill days.  James says his looking forward to the hill days because he loves running uphill.  He's a bit crazy that way.


Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment