Sunday, September 22, 2013

Days 83 and 84: My Annual Fall Race Weekend

This weekend was my annual fall race weekend.  I ran the Oasis Toronto Zoo 10k and the Island Girl 5k.  I love this weekend and it's always a good time.

Saturday Mike and I got up early and drove to the Toronto Zoo for one of my favorite races of the year. It was not a nice day at all.  It was pouring rain and it really never stopped raining.  However, during the 10k it wasn't coming down hard, but I know the 5k race got soaked.

I love  running through the zoo with all the animals just waking up and right there watching us run.  The wolves were so cool sitting up on top of their hill watching all the runners go by.  I know they were looking for the weak one so I picked up my pace.

The route is always a hilly one, but I had a few goals in mind.  I wanted to run the entire 10k without walking at all.  I wanted to hold my half marathon pace as well.  I didn't walk at all!  I was so happy about that.  I was a little fast for my half marathon pace, but the half marathon isn't as hilly so it may be right on pace.  I was right on my best 10k time.  Not bad for the rain and the hills. 

Here I am before the race.





We were going to stay at the zoo, but the weather was so crummy that we just went home.  Mike waited for me in car and I texted him when I crossed the finish line.  He met me at the exit with an umbrella.


It was a great day and a great race!

This morning we had to get up early again and head back to Toronto for the Island Girl 5k.  This race is on Centre Island and is a nice flat course with the exception of the bridge at the start and end of the race.  I felt great on this run!  I ran a best 5k time and bested my time from last year's race by 5 minutes.  I felt strong and relaxed the whole race.  It was cooler today, but there was no rain.  It really was a beautiful day to race.

Here are a few pictures from the race.








As of today there is only 28 days until my half marathon.  In 4 weeks I'll have completed my first every half marathon race.  I'm really starting to feel like I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment